This quick start guide has been provided to help subscribers with CAD modules in Ansys Teaching bundles. These instructions are for a Windows 10, 64-bit operating system.
Prerequisites for Installing Ansys with CMC License Management System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must:
- Have a Classroom Education or Institution/Department subscription; interested faculty members can learn more about this through our website at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/.
- Arrange for access to the Ansys Electronics Desktop tools for classroom instruction. This suite is for academic use only.
The technical staff at Ansys provide the following recommendations for making the best use of their software, including the operating system, graphics card, and CPU.
For a list of the features in this bundle, see the Ansys Academic Products Features table on the company’s website and look for the row entitled Ansys Academic Teaching Electronics Suite.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Ansys CAD Suite
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window is displayed, double-click Ansys Teaching/Courses Only.
A red checkmark is displayed to the left of the Ansys entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: Selecting the Ansys Teaching License Icon in CADpass Client
Obtaining the Software
To obtain the latest Ansys software from CMC Microsystems:
- Navigate to the Ansys download site on the CMC Microsystems website at the Ansys Campus Solutions Software link.
- Choose the appropriate version for your operating system and download the installation file archive to your workstation.
Installing the Software
You need to install the following software suite:
- Ansys Electronics Desktop Suite
To Install the Ansys Software
- For the Ansys Electronics Desktop software, follow the steps outlined in our general Electronics Desktop Quick-Start Guide for Research, until you reach Step 10. At that point, substitute the licensing information as shown in Figure 2. Set the TCP/IP port number to 6602 and the license server Server 1 to a2.cmc.ca.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and server name.
Figure 2: The Port and License Server Address for Ansys’ 2020 Rx Electronics Desktop Suite for Classroom Use
To Test Ansys Electronics Desktop CAD Installation
- Ensure that you have CADpass Client running and have the appropriate icon checked, as shown in Figure 1.
- Select one or more modules from your main Windows menu: For example: Start menu | Ansys EM Suite 2020 Rx | Ansys Electronics Desktop 2020 Rx. Figure 3 shows the Electronics Desktop 2020 R1 user interface.
Figure 3: Test your Electronics Desktop Installation by Starting the Electronics Desktop GUI
Troubleshooting Your Installation
If you follow these instructions and cannot start one or both of the suites, open a support case with CMC Microsystems’ technical staff for help.
References and Resources to Get You Started
- Ansys provides useful tutorials and theory guides with their software. You will find many of them listed under the Help menu of each tool.
- For applications, webinars and technical white papers, look over the Ansys Resource Library located here: Resource Library.
- For more general information, or to ask Ansys technical support questions, you are invited to log into the Ansys Student Community pages: https://forum.ansys.com/ Registration is free on the site.
- There are many commercially published books on the subject of Ansys simulations and finite element analysis. The SpringerLink and ScienceDirect databases also contain numerous titles based on research work conducted using these CAD tools