This quick start guide is provided to help subscribers install and run Electronics Desktop (EDT) CAD modules in the Campus Solutions bundle. These instructions have been tested on Windows 10, 64-bit operating system.
Prerequisites for Installing Ansys with CMC License Management System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must do the following:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors must also register, and can do so through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/faculty-gets-an-account/
- Complete all required agreements for Ansys software use, which may be obtained at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/
- Have administrator privileges for workstations on which this software is to be installed.
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
The technical staff at Ansys provide the following recommendations for making the best use of their software, including the operating system, graphics card, CPU, and other hardware.
For a list of the features in this bundle, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Not all modules are available for the supported operating systems (LINUX and Windows). Refer to the vendor’s recommendations for details.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Ansys EDT
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
To set up CADpass Client, do the following:
- Follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide: CADpass Client for Windows to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window is displayed, double-click Ansys Campus Solutions (Research).
A red checkmark is displayed in the check box to the left of the Ansys entry. See Figure 1.
Figure 1: Ansys Campus Solutions (Research) Entry in CADpass Client
with a License Selected
Note: Leave this check box selected while you are using the software.
Obtaining the Software
To obtain the latest Ansys software from CMC Microsystems, do the following:
- Navigate to the Ansys download site on the CMC Microsystems website here: https://www.cmc.ca/tools/.
- Choose the appropriate version for your operating system and download the installation file archive to your workstation.
Installing the Ansys Software
You need to install the following software:
- Ansys Electronics Desktop (EDT) software
Before Installing the Ansys Software
Before installing the Ansys software, do the following:
- Start CADpass Client and log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- Double-click Ansys Campus Solutions (Research) and download the installer archive.
- Extract the archive into a separate temporary folder.
To Install Ansys Software
To install the Ansys software, do the following:
- In the extracted Electronics directory, double-click autorun.exe.
- In the window that is displayed, click Install Electromagnetics Suite, as shown in Figure 2.
In the pop-up dialogue, you are prompted to close all Windows programs before starting the installation.
Figure 2: Ansys Electromagnetics Installation Shell
- Close the programs and click Next.
At this point, you are prompted to read the license agreement carefully to ensure that you understand your obligations.
- Contact email@example.com if you have questions about these obligations.
- If you agree to the terms, click Yes.
- In the next pop-up dialogue, choose your installation directory and click Next.
- Choose a default temporary directory for simulation work, either solo or group, and click Next.
- Choose a location for common libraries containing individual or group material and click Next.
- If you already have other Ansys 2020 R2 software installed, you may choose to integrate Ansys Electromagnetics’ Suite with it by clicking Yes.
Note: For simplicity, you can click No, and return to the integration step later.
- In the following window, you are prompted for your license location.
- Choose I want to specify a license server and click Next.
- Enter the information for the Ansys license server:
TCP/IP port number is 6624 and Server 1 is a2.cmc.ca.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and server name.
- To complete the rest of the installation process, click Next. When the executable has completed its task, the dialogue InstallShield Wizard Complete is displayed.
- Click Finish.
Note: You may choose to Install Layout Integrations for ECAD now if you want to use Ansys EDT with other vendors’ CAD software.
To Test Your Ansys EDT Installation
To test your Ansys EDT installation, do the following:
- Ensure that you have CADpass Client running and that you have a checkmark next to the Ansys Campus Solutions entry, as shown in Figure 1.
- Select the Desktop from the main Windows menu as follows:
Start menu | All programs | Ansys EM Suite 2020 R2 | Ansys Electronics Desktop 2020 R2
- Go to the menu selection Tools | Options | General Options…
- Click to open the General menu, and click Desktop Configuration.
- Select the check box Use Electronics Pro, Premium, Enterprise product licensing, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Ansys Electronics Desktop 2020 R2 Product Licensing Screen
You are now able to open a project and set up a simulation.
Figure 4 shows the Ansys Electronics Desktop 2020 R2 running HFSS.
Figure 4: Ansys Electronics Desktop 2020 R2 Running HFSS
Troubleshooting Your Installation
The following suggestions are based upon difficulties some of our subscribers have had when upgrading their workstations from earlier Ansys installations.
- Anti-virus Programs
Some anti-virus programs may interfere with the Ansys installer. If you find that you cannot complete this installation, shut off your anti-virus programs temporarily and try again. Figure 5 displays this error message.
Figure 5: Machine Configuration Failed Error Message
- Firewall Programs
Firewall programs may block Ansys software access to the Internet. This will prevent you from using the online tutorial and help file features.
Make sure that you give permission for the software to communicate with the Ansys website by selecting the appropriate check box as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Windows Security Alert – Windows Defender Firewall Permission Screen
- Windows Update Issue
A problem has occurred for Ansys EDT users that have applied Windows 10 update KB4571756 (~ September 2020). This problem is identified in the following link:
This problem happens during installation, though may also occur when trying to run Ansys from the Start Menu. The error code reported during installation is 3221227010.
The solution is to create an environment variable that turns off the driver causing this error.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Use the Windows search and enter system environment.
- Click on the selection Edit the system environment variables to open the System Properties.
- Go to the tab Advanced.
- Click on Environment Variables… at the bottom of this pop-up.
- In the window System Variables, click on New…
- Create the following variable:
Variable Name: ANSYS_EM_DONOT_PRELOAD_3DDRIVER_DLL
Figure 7 shows how to edit the user variable.
Variable Value: 1
Figure 7: Creating an Environment Variable to Fix a Windows Update Error
If you have followed these instructions and cannot start EDT, open a support case with CMC Microsystems’ technical staff for assistance.
Other Tricks and Tips
To make use of the high-performance computing (HPC) feature in Electronics Desktop, you must set this license feature to Pool on the HPC and Analysis Options screen.
To set the license feature, do the following:
- Go to the Electronics Desktop menu.
- Select Tools | Options | HPC and Analysis Options…
- Select the tab marked Options and locate the menu called HPC License.
- Click the pull-down arrow in the HPC License field and change it to Pool as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: HPC License Feature Selection Screen
For high-performance computing (HPC) applications, the Ansys Campus Solutions bundle is designed to work as follows:
- Each time one of the main modules (e.g., HFSS, Maxwell, or SIwave) is started by one of our subscribers, this module can be run on four (4) CPU cores without requiring any additional license features.
- Specifically, if your local workstation has a multi-core processor, you may set your simulation to call on all its cores for computations.
Table 1 identifies the license requirements.
Table 1: Main Modules Versus Max. No. CPU Cores
|Ansys CAD Tool||Campus Solutions’ Base License|
|Max. No. CPU Cores for Feature|
|HFSS (Ansys EDT)||electronics_desktop||4|
|Mechanical and Mechanical APDL||ansys||4|
|High-performance Computing (HPC)||anshpc||1|
- The Ansys license file purchased by CMC Microsystems includes a high-performance computing (HPC) license feature named “anshpc“. There are hundreds of this feature type included in this license file.
- Each anshpc HPC feature is equal to one (1) additional physical core you may use. When a simulation is started, an Ansys module (e.g., Fluent or HFSS) checks out anshpc features to fill the user’s request and releases these features when the simulation is finished.
- In this way, our subscribers share one large pool of licenses with each other across our research community.
- As of January 2021, CMC licensing staff has placed a restriction on the anshpc feature of 60. This means that one Ansys user may run a simulation on a maximum number of 64 cores (4 base + 60 HPC).
Note: If you find that you are experiencing denials when attempting simulations, your token(s) may be in use by another member of your group. Look at the report here to see if this is the case. If this is not the case, then contact our office for support.
References and Resources to Get You Started
- Ansys has provided many useful tutorials with their software under their respective Help menus.
- There are online training modules and “Getting Started…” guides included with
- For other examples and hints, visit the Ansys Resource Library located here:
- For additional help, our student subscribers are entitled to browse the Ansys Academic Support Resources.
- For specific help learning how to use SpaceClaim, go to the Ansys SpaceClaim Tutorials.
If your research benefits from products and services provided by CMC Microsystems, please acknowledge this support in any publications about your work. Publications may include journal articles, conference papers, scientific posters, presentations, thesis, and other documents that feature your research. For more information, please visit https://www.cmc.ca/be-sure-to-acknowledge-cmc/.
Thank you for your support!