This quick start guide is provided to help subscribers with CAD modules in the Ansys Classroom/Education bundle. These instructions are for a Windows 10, 64-bit operating system.
Prerequisites for Installing Ansys with CMC License Management System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must:
- Have an Education/Classroom or Institution – Research Plus subscription; faculty can subscribe through our website at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- Arrange for access to the Ansys Mechanical/CFD tools for classroom instruction
The technical staff at Ansys provide the following recommendations for making the best use of their software, including the operating system, graphics card, CPU, and other hardware.
For a list of the features in this bundle, see the Ansys website.
Note: Not all modules are available for the supported operating systems (LINUX and Windows). See Computing Platform Support and Platform Support by Application documents on the Ansys support website for details.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Ansys Mechanical/Fluids Software
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client, and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window is displayed, double-click Ansys Teaching/Courses Only.
A red checkmark is displayed to the left of the Ansys entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: Ansys Teaching/Course Only License Selected in CADpass Client
Obtaining the Ansys Software
To obtain the latest Ansys software from CMC Microsystems:
- Navigate to the Ansys download site on the CMC Microsystems website at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/
- Choose the appropriate version for your operating system and download the installation file archive to your workstation.
Installing the Ansys Software
You need to install the following software suite:
- Ansys Mechanical/Fluids software
To Install the Ansys Software
Follow the steps outlined in our Ansys quick start guide for research use, until you reach the sub-heading, “Setting up Ansys Mechanical/Fluids License Access”. At that point, substitute the FLEXLM port and server licensing information shown in Figure 2. Enter the following:
- Ansys Licensing Interconnect port number: 2326
- Ansys FLEXLM port number: 6602
- Hostname 1: a2.cmc.ca
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and hostname (server name).
Figure 2: The Port and License Server Address for Ansys’ Multiphysics Suite for Classroom Use
To Test Your Ansys Mechanical/Fluids CAD Installation
- Ensure that you have CADpass Client running and have the appropriate icon checked, as shown in Figure 1.
- Select one or more modules from your main Windows menu: For example Start Menu | Ansys 2020 Rx | Fluent 2020 Rx. Figure 3 shows the FLUENT 2020 R1 user interface.
Figure 3: Test your Classroom/Education Installation by Starting a CAD Module (e.g. Fluent)
Troubleshooting Your Installation
If you follow these instructions and cannot start this suite,
References and Resources to Get You Started
- Ansys provides useful tutorials and theory guides with their software. You will find many of them listed under the Help menu of each tool.
- For applications, webinars and technical white papers, look over the Ansys Resource Library located here: Resource Library.
- For more general information, or to ask Ansys technical support questions, you are invited to log into the Ansys Student Community pages: https://forum.ansys.com/ Registration is free on the site.
- There are many commercially published books on the subject of Ansys simulations and finite element analysis. The SpringerLink and ScienceDirect databases also contain numerous titles based on research work conducted using these CAD tools.