This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Cadence Applied Wave Research (AWR) software on Microsoft Windows using CMC CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS). The procedure has been tested on a Windows 10, 64-bit system.
Prerequisites for Installing Cadence AWR with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
Before you begin this installation, you must:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Have your faculty supervisor open an account through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- Have administrator privileges for the workstation on which you are installing this software
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
Information about Cadence-supported operating systems is provided here.
The following requirements are recommended by the Cadence support staff to achieve better performance: https://www.awr.com/support/evaluators/system-requirements
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Cadence AWR
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Cadence.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: A Red Check Mark Next to the Cadence Entry Indicates a Request for a License
Obtaining the Software
Download the installation files from the CMC Microsystems website: https://www.cmc.ca/tools/.
Installing the Software
The AWR software is an installation file available from the CMC Microsystems website.
- In the temporary directory containing the Base_AWR15.00.000_wint_1of1 file, launch the executable.
The introductory Cadence installation dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Introductory Cadence Installation Dialog Box
The Information window is displayed.
- In the installation dialogue, click Next to continue.
- In the dialogue License Agreement, review the End User License Agreement (EULA), as indicated in Figure 3. Read the terms of the EULA carefully and click I Agree if you agree to the terms.
Note: If you are unsure of your obligations under this agreement, contact email@example.com to discuss them.
Figure 3: Read the License Agreement before Continuing
- Click Next to continue or click Cancel to leave the installation.
The dialogue Installation Settings is displayed, as shown in Figure 4. You may make changes to the installation directory at this time.
Figure 4: Change Installation Directory if Desired
- Click Next.
- Choose a default unit value for your work: microns, mils, or millimetres.
- Click Next to continue.
- Associate file extensions with AWR.
This is optional.
- Click Next to continue.
A Confirm Installation dialogue appears.
- Click Next to start the process.
Progress is indicated in the dialogue Installing Cadence AWR Design Environment, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Installer Confirmation Message
When done, an Installation Complete dialogue appears.
- Click Close to end the process.
Setting up Cadence AWR License Access
Before starting AWR, CADpass Client must be running.
- Start CADpass Client and log into your account using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- In the CADpass Client window, select the Cadence license icon, as shown in Figure 1.
- On your workstation, go to the Start menu | AWRDE 15. Select AWR Design Environment.
A pop-up appears displaying “The configured license file doesn’t have any valid features”.
- Click OK.
An AWR License Configuration dialogue opens.
- Click the Set Location button.
- In the pop-up that appears enter the port@server information, as shown in Figure 6:
Figure 6: The Select License File Dialog for Cadence AWR
- Click OK to close the pop-up and click Close to finish.
- Start AWR Design Environment again.
A Select License Features dialogue appears, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: The Select License Features Dialog Appears When Starting AWR
- Click OK.
Your AWR software should now start.
If the tool fails to install properly, contact CMC Support for help with diagnosing the problem at https://www.cmc.ca/support/
Additional Support Resources
The following are suggestions of resources that may be helpful:
- A Getting Started Guide bundled with this installation is listed under Start menu | AWRDE 15 | Getting Started.
- Many examples are bundled with AWR and will open when selected from the Help menu. One such example is shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Cadence AWR Example Supplied With the Release 15.0x Software
- A Knowledge Base is available for users from a link in the program. The landing page for this Knowledge base is shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: The Online Knowledge Base for Cadence AWR