CADpass Client Secure Connection (will be referred to as CADpass Client or CADpass in this document) is a utility provided by CMC Microsystems that creates a secure connection between client PC’s, workstations, and computer sessions, and the CMC managed CNDN infrastructure.
This quick start guide provides instructions for installing the Crosslight Device Simulation Suite on a Windows 10 system using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass Client to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS).
The full suite of Crosslight CAD tools for micro- and opto-electronic device design is available through CMC. The suite includes APSYS, PICS3D, CSuprem and Procom process simulation software. Starting from the 2016 version, LASTIP’s functionality is part of the PICS3D package.
You must meet the following criteria before installing the Crosslight Suite:
- Students must register with CMC at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, root, super, sysadmin, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
- Window 10 operation system
- 32-bit or 64-bit
- The computer must have the Sentinel HASP license manager software installed. The setup file is included in the Crosslight download package.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Crosslight
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Crosslight.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Crosslight Selection in CADpass Client
Obtaining the Software
On the CMC CAD tools webpage at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/:
- Click the Crosslight product link.
- Sign in to your CMC account.
- Download the Crosslight installer files and example files.
- Save them to a temporary folder.
The software is delivered as compressed files. An installer for the required license management software (SentinelHASP) is downloaded from the same site.
In addition, the Crosslight Suite can draw on 3rd party (freeware) programs to generate printable file outputs such as postscript files (*.ps). To generate and view these *.ps files you will need to install a viewer or conversion utility.
Installing the Software
The Crosslight program files that you download from the CMC website are in a compressed format. The actual Crosslight program installer must be run from the downloaded and un-compressed files.
Note: Due to security restrictions, it is not advised to install the programs to the directory Program Files. Install the programs in a top-level directory such as c:\APSYS, c:\Pics3D, c:\CSuprem, and c:\Procom.
When the installations are finished, the folders Apsys-2019, Pics3D-2019, CSuprem-2019, and Procom-2011 will appear in the Windows Start menu.
Crosslight also provides tutorial examples bundled with the software package. From the extracted file, locate and run the program Tutorial_Movies_Installer. The tutorial movie is in .swf format. You must ensure your web browser is able to open a document of this format.
To install software for displaying Crosslight-generated postscript files, your computer must include a viewer for *.ps files. Crosslight recommends GSView and GhostScript. This software may be accessed from: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/. Note that this software is not supported by CMC or Crosslight.
Setting up Crosslight License Access
Crosslight uses an application called Sentinel HASP to manage the access to session-based shared license keys to their software. As described above, when you installed the Crosslight software, you also installed Sentinel software. You must configure this application so that your computer knows where to access the key. Sentinel HASP must be installed on your computer for you to complete the following steps.
To access a session license key for your Crosslight session:
- Open a web browser with the URL: http://localhost:1947/_int_/config_to.html.
Alternatively, access the Sentinel root page at http://localhost:1947/. From the left pane, select Configuration, and then the tab Access to Remote License Managers.
- In the field Remote License Search Parameters, enter the server name a2.cmc.ca.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest server name.
- Click the box Allow Access to Remote Licenses.
- Click Submit.
Running a Crosslight Session
To start a Crosslight session:
- Obtain a Crosslight license key using CADpass Client as described above.
- To start the Crosslight application, from the Start menu, directly execute the following:
- From the folder Apsys-2019, execute SimuApsys.exe
- From the folder Pics3d-2019, execute SimuPics3d.exe
- From the folder Csuprem-2019, execute SimuCSuprem.exe
- From the folder Procom-2011, execute Simuprocom.exe
Note: You can access SimuCSuprem, SimuApsys, SimuPics3D, and AutoTCAD through the Simucenter windows GUI interface.
Updating the Software
When the Crosslight software version is updated, the current Crossslight program will not work on current users’ computers due to license issues. CMC will send emails to notify the present users of the Crosslight update. All the present users need to uninstall the current version of Crosslight software from their computers by following these steps:
- From Windows Start menu, select Settings, and then choose Apps.
- Select all of the Crosslight programs: Apsys, Pics3D, CSuprem, and Procom.
- Click Uninstall to remove them all.
- Delete the installed Crosslight file folder found in the default directory at C:/Program Files/Crosslight.
- Obtain the new version of Crosslight software, install and configure your computer to access a session license key.
You may submit requests for technical support on this software tool through CMC’s technical support site: https://account.cmc.ca/Help/EngSupport.aspx.