This quick start guide provides instructions for installing FIMMWAVE from Photon Design on a Windows 10 system using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS).
You must meet the following criteria before installing Photon Design FIMMWAVE:
- Students must register with CMC at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, root, super, sysadmin, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
The following are required to install and run Photon Design FIMMWAVE:
- A PDF reader to open some of the tutorials and manuals included with the FIMMWAVE CAD program
- A file extraction program such as 7-Zip or WinZip to extract the downloaded program installation files in .zip format.
- 64-bit, Microsoft Windows 7, 8, or 10
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with FIMMWAVE
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Photon Design.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Photon Design FIMMWAVE Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
From the CMC CAD tools webpage at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/:
- In the Photon Design products section, click the FIMMWAVE product link.
- Sign in to your CMC account.
- Download the FIMMWAVE files and save them to a temporary folder.
Installing the Software
The FIMMWAVE program files that you download from the CMC website are in a compressed format (*.zip), which is not an executable file. The actual FIMMWAVE program installer must be extracted from this file using a file compression program. You may use Windows, or a program such as 7-Zip, to extract the compressed files.
To install the FIMMWAVE software on your computer:
- Extract the files and save them to a temporary location, such as FIMMWAVE Extracted Files.
- From the FIMMWAVE root directory in the extracted files folder, launch the installer program setup.exe.
The installation wizard is launched.
- Choose where to install the FIMMWAVE program files on your computer and follow the default instructions to complete the installation.
This operation includes an automatic prompt to install the Python freeware (scripting software).
- Install the Python software.
- You may optionally be prompted to install CodeMeter license key management software. This is a required step if you have not previously installed CodeMeter on your system.
Setting up FIMMWAVE License Access
To run FIMMWAVE software that uses a remote license management system, you must modify your local installation of CodeMeter so that it points to the relevant CMC license server. To do so, follow these steps:
- From the folder CodeMeter in the Start menu of your computer, launch CodeMeter Control Center.
The dialog CodeMeter Control Center appears, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: CodeMeter Control Center GUI
- Verify that CodeMeter is running in the background of your PC by checking if the text CodeMeter is started is displayed in bottom left corner, as shown in Figure 2. If not, start the service by selecting Process from the main menu.
- To launch CodeMeter’s web-based license management tool, click WebAdmin.
The window CodeMeter WebAdmin opens, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: CodeMeter WebAdmin Dashboard
- From the main menu, click Configuration and then navigate to the license server settings.
- Click add new Server.
- Enter the server name a3.cmc.ca, and click Apply.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest server name.
Running a FIMMWAVE Session
To start a FIMMWAVE session:
- Obtain a FIMMWAVE license key using CADpass R20, as shown in Figure 1.
- From the Photon Design folder in the Start menu of your computer, launch the version of FIMMWAVE corresponding to the operating system of your computer; e.g., Fimmwave 64-bit.
Related materials, training, and tutorials that can assist you to get started on FIMMWAVE can be find through Help| FIMMWAVE Manual in the FIMMWAVE software interface.
There are also extensive application libraries and publications on the Photon Design website: https://www.photond.com/products/fimmwave.htm