This quick start guide provides instructions for installing the Modelithics EXEMPLAR libraries on a Windows 10 operating system, using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass R20 to access shared licenses from the CMC License Management System (LMS).
Prerequisites for Installing Modelithics EXEMPLAR Libraries
Before you begin this installation, you must:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors must also register through the CMC subscription subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/faculty-gets-an-account/
- Complete all required agreements for Modelithics library use, which may be obtained at https://account.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00200-07062.aspx
- Have administrator rights for the workstation on which you are installing this software
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, root, super, sysadmin, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system
The Modelithics EXEMPLAR libraries are integrated with their respective CAD tools. See the individual CAD vendor requirements for the hardware specifications.
Operating systems listed here: https://www.modelithics.com/support
A PDF reader is required to open supporting library documents.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Modelithics Libraries
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, click the checkbox beside Modelithics, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: The Modelithics Selection in CADpass R20
A red checkmark appears next to this entry. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Obtaining the Software
Download the library or libraries of your choice to your local computer from CMC’s website: https://account.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00200-07062.aspx
Installing the Software
The setup steps for each library are similar and the port and server address for each of them is the same. Keysight Genesys is used as an example here.
Note: Each Modelithics installer is bundled with a complete set of instructions. Parts of these instructions include those for setting up licence server access. Ignore these sections. Substitute the steps listed in this guide instead.
To install Keysight Genesys
- Click the Setup_COMPLETE*_Genesys installer to begin.
A pop-up dialog appears, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: The Setup Window of the Modelithics Installer for Keysight Genesys
- Click Next to continue.
The License Agreement window appears, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: The License Agreement Window
Be sure that you understand your obligations under this agreement. If you have questions about its wording or are otherwise unsure of its meaning, contact email@example.com for clarification.
- Click Next to continue, or click Cancel to end this installation.
If you continue, the Choose an installation type window appears, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: The Choose an Installation Type Window
- Select Complete and click Next to continue.
Even though you have selected Complete, only the components of the EXEMPLAR library will be made active.
The Installation Options window appears.
- Choose your preferred format(s) and click Next to continue.
The Ready to Install window appears.
- Click Next to begin installing the library.
When the installation has completed, a License expiration warning window appears, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: The License Expiration Warning Window
- You can set the number of days to 0 (zero) to disable this warning.
- Click Next to continue.
An Installation Options window appears.
- Choose which documents you want to open at this time and click Next.
- In the Completing the Modelithics COMPLETE for Keysight Genesys Setup Wizard window, click Finish to end the installation.
If you install the EXEMPLAR library for ANSYS HFSS, the differences you will encounter are choice of installation directory and components, as shown in Figure 6. Regardless of what components are selected, only those in the EXEMPLAR library will be made active.
Figure 6: The Select Components Window for the ANSYS HFSS Library Installation
If you install the EXEMPLAR library for Keysight ADS, the main difference is in the choice of components to be made, as shown in Figure 7. Regardless of what components are selected, only those in the EXEMPLAR library will be made active.
Figure 7: The Select Components Window for Keysight ADS
Setting up Modelithics License Access
CADpass R20 will add the modelithics_LICENSE port and server address to your computer’s environment variable list. No action is required by you to make this change.
The EXEMPLAR license is engaged when a simulation using one or more of these specific parts begins.
For Keysight Genesys, if the EXEMPLAR library finds an available Modelithics license, and your installation is fine, a pop-up window displays a message saying that the EXEMPLAR library is a small portion of the COMPLETE library until the simulation completes.
If connection is lost to the CMC Microsystems Modelithics server, an error is displayed during a simulation run. An example report for Keysight Genesys is shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Loss of License Connection to CMC Server in Keysight Genesys
If you are struggling with your installation, or find that you cannot connect to our license server, open a support case with CMC, and include information that will help us understand the issue. For example, provide the Library name and release number, your operating system, the CAD software with which you are using this library, hardware specifications such as GPU type and/or RAM, and a description of your problem. You may also submit screen captures of error messages that are produced.
Issues that are more complex than this will be directed to Modelithics technical support staff.
Here are some links to helpful papers and examples on the Modelithics website:
- Designer resources: https://www.modelithics.com/mvp/rsources
- Application notes, presentations and white papers: https://www.modelithics.com/Literature