This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Photon Design OmniSim/CrystalWave on a Windows 10 system using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS).
You must meet the following criteria before installing Photon Design OmniSim:
- Students must register with CMC at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, root, super, sysadmin, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
The following are required to install and run Photon Design OmniSim/CrystalWave:
- A PDF reader to open some of the tutorials and manuals included with OmniSim/CrystalWave
- A file extraction program such as 7-Zip or WinZip to extract the downloaded program installation files in .zip format.
- PC minimum specifications:
- Windows 8/10 64-bit, 4 GB RAM, Intel Haswell, AMD Ryzen2 or later CPU
- UNIX / Linux: Clustered version are also available on UNIX / Linux systems.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with OmniSim/CrystalWave
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Photon Design.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The OmniSim/CrystalWave Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
From the CMC CAD tools webpage at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/:
- Click the OmniSim/CrystalWave product link (in the Photon Design products section of this page).
- Sign in to your CMC account.
- Download the OmniSim files and save them to a temporary folder.
Installing the Software
The OmniSim program files that you download from the CMC website are in a compressed format (*.zip) which is not an executable file. The actual OmniSim program installer must be extracted from this file using a file compression program. You may use Windows, or a program such as 7-Zip, to extract the compressed files.
To install the OmniSim software on your computer:
- Extract the files and save them to a temporary location, such as OmniSim Extracted Files.
- From the OmniSim root directory in the extracted files folder, launch the installer program setup.exe.
The installation wizard is launched.
- Choose where to install the OmniSim program files on your computer and follow the default instructions to complete the installation.
This operation includes an automatic prompt to install the Python freeware (scripting software).
- Install the Python software.
- You may optionally be prompted to install CodeMeter license key management software. This is a required step if you have not previously installed CodeMeter on your system.
Setting up OmniSim License Access
To run OmniSim software that uses a remote license management system, you must modify your local installation of CodeMeter so that it points to the relevant CMC license server. To do so, follow these steps:
- From the folder CodeMeter in the Start menu of your computer, launch CodeMeter Control Center.
The dialog CodeMeter Control Center appears, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: CodeMeter Control Center GUI
- Verify that CodeMeter is running in the background of your PC by checking if the text CodeMeter is started is displayed in bottom left corner, as shown in Figure 2. If not, start the service by selecting Process from the main menu.
- To launch CodeMeter’s web-based license management tool, click WebAdmin.
The window CodeMeter WebAdmin opens, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: CodeMeter WebAdmin Dashboard
- From the main menu, select Configuration and then navigate to the license server settings.
- Click add new Server.
- Enter the server name a2.cmc.ca, and click Apply.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest server name.
Running an OmniSim Session
To start an OmniSim session:
- Obtain a OmniSim license key using CADpass R20, as shown in Figure 1.
- From the Photon Design folder in the Start menu of your computer, launch the version of OmniSim corresponding to the operating system of your computer; e.g., OMNISIM-64 bit.
Related materials, training, and tutorials that can assist you to get started on OmniSim can be find through Help | OmniSim Manual in the OmniSim software interface.
There are also extensive application libraries and publications on the Photon Design website: