The purpose of this guide is to assist in the installation and network license setup for Vero Software Alphacam CAD/CAM Software. It has been verified using a Windows 10 operating system.
Prerequisites for Installing Alphacam with CMC License Management System (LMS)
You must meet the following criteria before installing Alphacam:
- Students must register with CMC at: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at: https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system
System requirements for this software are listed here: https://www.alphacam.com/systemrequirements
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Alphacam
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- If CADpass R20 is not already installed, then download and install the latest version from the CMC Microsystems’ website at https://www.cmc.ca/cadpass/.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Alphacam.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Alphacam Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
- Access the Alphacam software from CMC’s CAD Tools webpage.
- Download the installation file AC2018R2SU2.zip.
- Extract the file to a temporary folder.
- Double-click StartHere.hta.
The installation screen is displayed as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: The Alphacam Installation Screen
Installing the Software
- From the installation screen, click Install Alphacam to run the install file, Alphacam 2018 R2.exe.
- In the License Agreement screen, select I accept the agreement to continue, and then click Next.
- In the Join the Vero Customer Experience Improvement Program screen, choose your preference and then click Next.
- In the Select Destination Location screen, enter the name of the folder, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Selecting the Folder Location
- In the Alphacam System Folders screen, select the location to install the LicomDat and LicomDir folders, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Install the Alphacam System Folders
- In the Select Additional Tasks screen, check the Create a desktop shortcut if desired, and then click Next.
- In the Ready to Install screen, review the details, and then click Install, as shown in Figure 5.
The installer shows its progress as the installation continues.
Figure 5: Installing Alphacam
- In the Completing the Alphacam Setup Wizard screen, uncheck the Launch Alphacam checkbox, and click Finish, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Completing the Alphacam Setup
If you have questions about this agreement, contact email@example.com to discuss your concerns.
Setting up Alphacam License Access
- If it is not open, log in to CADpass R20.
- Click the Alphacam box to select a license.
There will be a red checkmark next to the tool entry, as shown in Figure 7. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 7: Alphacam Software Has Been Selected
- From the Start menu, open the Alphacam License Manager, as shown in Figure 8. Run this application with administrator privileges.
Figure 8: Start Menu Showing Alphacam License Manager
- In the License Manager (2018 R2 – Alphacam) window, shown in Figure 9, select Server | Defined Server List.
Figure 9: Alphacam License Manager
The Configure License Servers dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10: Configure License Servers Dialog Window
- In the Configure License Servers dialogue, enter the Host name alphacam.a.cmc.ca, as shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11: Enter the License Server Host Name as alphacam.a.cmc.ca
- Click Test Server.
The Add Server button is enabled.
- Click Add Server and then click Close.
- If asked, confirm that you want to change the license server by clicking Yes.
- Click Configure Network Licenses, as shown in Figure 12.
Figure 12: Selecting Configure Network Licenses
- In the right-hand pane, select Alphacam Educational.
- Click <<Reserved.
The educational license moves to the reserved side.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
Testing License Access
- Start Alphacam, by using the desktop icon or a Start menu entry.
The Alphacam startup screen is displayed.
- For the simplest interface, select Alphacam Standard Mill, as shown in Figure 13.
Figure 13: Selecting Alphacam Standard Mill
If you successfully connect to the license server, the Alphacam main window appears displayed, as shown in Figure 14.
Figure 14: The Alphacam Main Window
You must choose a post-processor, or the program will close. A post-processor is a translator to convert the drawing and the mill paths in Alphacam to the G-code program instructions for your mill. The mill vendor may have provided a post-processor, in which case, navigate to that folder and select it.
- For now, to confirm the Alphacam installation, choose the Alpha Standard 3 ax Mill.amp, as shown in Figure 15.
Figure 15: Selecting the Post-Processor
Alphacam is now successfully installed, licensed, and running. See Figure 16.
Figure 16: Alphacam Successfully Running
Other Help and Resources
- Alphacam Help can be accessed by selecting File | Help from the main menu. If you are online, you will be taken to the online help site at
- Otherwise, a local compiled HTML help file at C:\Program Files\Vero Software\Alphacam 2018 R2 will be opened.