This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Cadence Allegro/OrCAD 17.40 software on Microsoft Windows using CMC CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS). The procedure has been tested on a Windows 10, 64-bit system. Cadence offers Allegro/OrCAD tools for LINUX and Windows operating systems. The full list of CAD modules for university subscribers is available upon request. Contact email@example.com for details.
The Allegro/OrCAD package includes:
- Allegro Design Entry (Capture, Capture CIS, HDL and System Capture)
- Allegro/OrCAD PCB Editor and Integrated Analysis and Checking
- Allegro EDM Solution and ECAD-MCAD Library Creator
- Allegro/OrCAD PSpice Simulator
- Allegro Package Designer
Note: Not all modules are available for both operating systems.
Prerequisites for Installing Allegro/OrCAD with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Have your faculty supervisor open an account through the CMC subscription page at: https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- Have administrator privileges for the workstation on which you are installing this software
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
One of the operating systems listed here is required.
The following is recommended by the Cadence support staff. Better performance is achieved by using a computer with:
- A dedicated graphics card with OpenGL support, 2 GB dedicated video RAM and a 128-bit bus interface;
- A minimum of 1 GB physical RAM; and
- A recent vintage of Intel or AMD CPU.
Subscribers running signal integrity (SI) simulations should use a workstation with more memory than the minimum. Additional recommendations are listed in the “Allegro Platform System Requirements”, Product Version 17.4 – 2019. A copy of this document is available during the installation process. See Figure 2 below for the location of the document link.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Cadence Allegro/OrCAD
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- If you do not have the CMC Microsystems’ CADpass R20 application loaded onto your workstation, follow the instructions found here: https://www.cmc.ca/cadpass/.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Cadence.
A red checkmark is displayed to the left of the Cadence entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: A Red Check Mark Next to the Cadence Entry Indicates a Request for a License
Obtaining the Software
Download the installation files from the CMC Microsystems website https://www.cmc.ca/tools/:
Installing the Software
The Allegro/OrCAD software is a pair of archive files on the CMC Microsystems website.
- Extract the two archives to temporary folders.
- In the temporary directory containing the Base_SPB17.40.000wint_1of2 files, select the setup application and launch the executable.
The introductory Cadence installation dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Introductory Cadence Installation Dialog Box
- In the installation dialog, select OrCAD and Allegro Products Installation.
- In the License Agreement dialogue, you are prompted to temporarily shut off your anti-virus software, as shown in Figure 3. Turn off your anti-virus software until the installation is complete.
- Read the terms of the OrCAD software license agreement carefully and click I Accept if you agree to the terms.
Note: If you are unsure of your obligations under this agreement, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss them. Note that the dialogue has a link to the system requirements document in its lower right-hand corner.
Figure 3: Turn Off Anti-Virus Software Until the Installation is Complete
- Click Next.
The Installation Settings dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 4. You may make changes to the installation and working directories at this time.
Figure 4: Change Installation and Working Directories if Desired
- Click Next.
The Input License Details dialogue is displayed. The port number is 6055 and the license server is cadence.a.cmc.ca as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Installation Setting Shown
- Click Install to continue.
The Installing Media dialogue appears and the installation proceeds, as shown in Figure 6. The process should take about twenty minutes to complete.
Figure 6: The Installing Media Dialog Shows the Progress of the Installation
- To end the installation without adding any third-party tools, click Finish.
Setting Up Allegro/OrCAD License Access
Before starting Allegro/OrCAD, CADpass R20 must be running.
- Start CADpass R20 and log into your account using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- In the CADpass R20 window, select the Cadence license icon, as shown in Figure 1.
- On your workstation, go to the Start menu | Cadence.
The Allegro/OrCAD tools are listed, as shown in Figure 7.
- Start the tools as needed.
Figure 7: The Family of Allegro/OrCAD Tools Installed on a Workstation
Troubleshooting Installation Problems
If the tool fails to install properly, contact CMC Support for help with diagnosing the problem at https://www.cmc.ca/support/
If the software does not find a license, an error dialogue box is displayed, as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Error Message When the License Cannot Be Retrieved
Contact CMC technical support to determine general license availability and your account status.
Additional Support Resources
- Tutorials that are bundled with this installation are listed under Start menu | Cadence Help 17.4-2019 | Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials 17.4 as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials List Supplied with the Release 17.4 CAD Installation
- Cadence Help files are also available in this bundle as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10: The Cadence Help GUI
- White papers, examples, and training options are available on the Cadence corporate website: http://www.cadence.com/st/pages/default.aspx