This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Cadence Allegro/OrCAD 17.40 software on Microsoft Windows using CMC CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS). The procedure has been tested on a Windows 10, 64-bit system. Cadence offers Allegro/OrCAD tools for LINUX and Windows operating systems. The full list of CAD modules for university subscribers is available upon request. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The Allegro/OrCAD package includes:
- Allegro Design Entry (Capture, Capture CIS, HDL and System Capture)
- Allegro/OrCAD PCB Editor and Integrated Analysis and Checking
- Allegro EDM Solution and ECAD-MCAD Library Creator
- Allegro/OrCAD PSpice Simulator
- Allegro Package Designer
Note: Not all modules are available for both operating systems.
Prerequisites for Installing Allegro/OrCAD with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Have your faculty supervisor open an account through the CMC subscription page at: https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- Have administrator privileges for the workstation on which you are installing this software
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
One of the Cadence-supported operating systems is required.
The following is recommended by the Cadence support staff. Better performance is achieved by using a computer with:
- A dedicated graphics card with OpenGL support, 2 GB dedicated video RAM and a 128-bit bus interface;
- A minimum of 1 GB physical RAM; and
- A recent vintage of Intel or AMD CPU.
Subscribers running signal integrity (SI) simulations should use a workstation with more memory than the minimum. Additional recommendations are listed in the “Allegro Platform System Requirements”, Product Version 17.4 – 2019. A copy of this document is available during the installation process. See Figure 2 below for the location of the document link.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Cadence Allegro/OrCAD
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Cadence.
A red checkmark is displayed to the left of the Cadence entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: A Red Check Mark Next to the Cadence Entry Indicates a Request for a License
Obtaining the Software
Download the installation files from the CMC Microsystems website https://www.cmc.ca/tools/:
Installing the Software
The Allegro/OrCAD software is a pair of archive files on the CMC Microsystems website.
- Extract the two archives to temporary folders.
- In the temporary directory containing the Base_SPB17.40.000wint_1of2 files, select the setup application and launch the executable.
The introductory Cadence installation dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Introductory Cadence Installation Dialog Box
- In the installation dialog, select OrCAD and Allegro Products Installation.
- In the License Agreement dialogue, you are prompted to temporarily shut off your anti-virus software, as shown in Figure 3. Turn off your anti-virus software until the installation is complete.
- Read the terms of the OrCAD software license agreement carefully and click I Accept if you agree to the terms.
Note: If you are unsure of your obligations under this agreement, contact email@example.com to discuss them. Note that the dialogue has a link to the system requirements document in its lower right-hand corner.
Figure 3: Turn Off Anti-Virus Software Until the Installation is Complete
- Click Next.
The Installation Settings dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 4. You may make changes to the installation and working directories at this time.
Figure 4: Change Installation and Working Directories if Desired
- Click Next.
The Input License Details dialogue is displayed. The port number is 6055 and the license server is a2.cmc.ca as shown in Figure 5.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and license server name.
Figure 5: Installation Setting Shown
- Click Install to continue.
The Installing Media dialogue appears and the installation proceeds, as shown in Figure 6. The process should take about twenty minutes to complete.
Figure 6: The Installing Media Dialog Shows the Progress of the Installation
- To end the installation without adding any third-party tools, click Finish.
Setting Up Allegro/OrCAD License Access
Before starting Allegro/OrCAD, CADpass R20 must be running.
- Start CADpass R20 and log into your account using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- In the CADpass R20 window, select the Cadence license icon, as shown in Figure 1.
- On your workstation, go to the Start menu | Cadence.
The Allegro/OrCAD tools are listed, as shown in Figure 7.
- Start the tools as needed.
Figure 7: The Family of Allegro/OrCAD Tools Installed on a Workstation
Troubleshooting Installation Problems
If the tool fails to install properly, contact CMC Support for help with diagnosing the problem at https://www.cmc.ca/support/
If the software does not find a license, an error dialogue box is displayed, as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Error Message When the License Cannot Be Retrieved
Contact CMC technical support to determine general license availability and your account status.
Additional Support Resources
- Tutorials that are bundled with this installation are listed under Start menu | Cadence Help 17.4-2019 | Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials 17.4 as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials List Supplied with the Release 17.4 CAD Installation
- Cadence Help files are also available in this bundle as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10: The Cadence Help GUI
- White papers, examples, and training options are available on the Cadence corporate website: http://www.cadence.com/st/pages/default.aspx