The HyperLynx CAD software is a family of electromagnetic simulators, SPICE model generators, and design rule checkers. This software is part of the Mentor Graphics Higher Education software bundle, which includes PADS and Calibre.
This software consists of several modules, including:
- Fast 3D Solver: Generates complete package SPICE models and noise profiles
- Full-Wave Solver: Provides users with network impedance profiles, capacitor loop inductance, and combined signal/power broadband S-parameter for time-domain simulations
- Full-Wave High-performance Computing (HPC) Solver: Provides a multi-core/multi-processor version of the Full-Wave Solver
- DRC: Allows for design rule writing and checking (DRC) of printed circuit boards
- SI PI Thermal: Finds signal trace integrity, power trace integrity, and thermal hot-spots on a printed circuit board (PCB)
Prerequisites for Installing HyperLynx with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
You must meet the following criteria before installing HyperLynx:
- Students must register with CMC at: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at: https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
Recommended system requirements for all these modules:
- Dual or Quad-Core CPU, with a clock speed of 2.0 GHz or better
- Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) OpenGL 2.0 capable, with at least 512 MB of VRAM
- System RAM: 8 GB
For more information, see the Help *.pdf documents for the individual modules, included in the archive download.
A laptop or workstation with one of the following operating systems:
- Windows 8.1 (SP1) or Windows 10, 64-bit
- Other software:
- PDF file reader for browsing electronic tutorials and manuals
Contact email@example.com for advice or help with these requirements.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with HyperLynx
CADpass Client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass Client.
- Start CADpass Client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Mentor.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Mentor Graphics Selection in CADpass Client
Obtaining the Software
Download the software archive from here: https://www.cmc.ca/tools/.
Installing the Software
- Extract the software archive to a temporary directory.
- From this temporary directory, run the setup executable to start the installation.
The installation wizard opens, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Installation Wizard
- Click Install | Install Products.
- In the Source and Target window, select the directory location, and click Next.
- In the Product Selection window, when prompted for which parts of the whole package should be installed, choose which solver(s) to install, and click Next, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: The Product Selection Window
The following window displays the End-User License Agreement (EULA), to which you must agree to use this tool.
- Review the terms of the License Agreement and click Agree if you are satisfied that you understand your obligations. Otherwise, cancel the installation by clicking Disagree.
After clicking Agree, the window Confirm Selections is displayed, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: The Confirm Selections Window
- Review the tool choices shown, and click Install to proceed.
- When the installation is complete, click Done.
The wizard displays the start window again (see Figure 2).
- You may verify the installation by clicking Manage Software | Verify Installation, or Exit the wizard and verify the installation at another time. The verification program is also a helpful debugging tool.
The installation adds three CAD folders to your Start Menu.
Setting up HyperLynx License Access
- Run the HyperLynx setup.exe program and select the Manage Licensing | Configure Licensing option as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Select the Manage Licensing Option
The Configure Licensing window is displayed.
- Select the option Point to a license server, and click Next.
The window Add Server window is displayed.
- Enter the address in the format of port number@server name, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and server name.
- To ensure that you have typed the address into the window correctly click Test. If successful, click Next to continue.
This is the only license server address you require for this software.
- To close the Configuration Complete window select No and click Exit to close the setup program.
Note: If you have problems with this part of the installation, contact CMC Support for help.
- From the Windows Start Menu, go to the HyperLynx VX.2.* folder and start whichever tool you want to use.
The Choose Advanced Solver main window is shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: The Choose Advanced Solver Main Window in HyperLynx XV.2.6
You are now ready to use your HyperLynx tools. If you encounter any difficulties, refer to the Troubleshooting section below. If these tips do not solve your problem, start a technical support request from the CMC Microsystems website.
Troubleshooting Installation Errors
If you are unable to successfully launch any or all of the Advanced Solvers, the issue may be related to a broken license connection, anti-virus or firewall software, or other, more subtle difficulties. The CMC Microsystems technical staff recommends verifying the installation, and, if part of your subscription, testing other CAD tools using the same licensing mechanism. This information is valuable for solving problems that arise at any time.
If these steps do not help you identify the source of your problem, contact CMC Support for help.
Additional Help and Tutorials for Users
- Tutorials are included with each HyperLynx CAD tool, found under the Help menu tabs (Figure 7).
Figure 7: Tutorials Included With Each HyperLynx VX.2.* CAD Tool
- You can download related white papers from the main Mentor Graphics’ website: https://www.mentor.com/pcb/hyperlynx/
- You can also look at instructional videos on the Mentor Graphics’ YouTube channel:
The following books include useful background information about printed circuit board layout and fabrication. CMC Microsystems staff do not supply these books or excerpts thereof.
 Mark I. Montrose, Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance: A Handbook for Designers, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1998.
 Howard Johnson and Martin Graham, High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic, Prentice Hall, 1993.
 Clayton R. Paul, Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd edition, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
 Redoute’ and Steyaert, EMC of Analog Integrated Circuits, Springer, 2010.
 Andre’, Patrick G. and Wyeth, Kenneth, EMI Troubleshooting Cookbook for Product Designers, Knovel, 2014.