CADpass client secure connection (will be referred to as CADpass client or CADpass in this document) is a utility provided by CMC Microsystems that creates a secure connection between client PC’s, workstations, and computer sessions, and the CMC managed infrastructure.
This quick start guide provides instructions for installing the latest Personal Automated Design System (PADS) CAD suite, bundled with the HyperLynx design-rule checking tool, on a Windows 10, 64-bit system, using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass client to access shared licenses on the License Management System (LMS).
Prerequisites for Installing PADS with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
You must meet the following criteria before installing PADS:
- Register with CMC Microsystems here: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors must also register through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/faculty-gets-an-account/
- Complete all required agreements for Siemens’ software use, which may be obtained at https://www.cmc.ca/tools/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
Recommendations about hardware and operating system are listed on the Siemens EDA website here: https://resources.sw.siemens.com/en-US/fact-sheet-pcb-and-ic-packaging-system-requirements
Setting up CADpass client for Use with Siemens PADS
CADpass client is a CMC Microsystems license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass client.
- Start CADpass client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Siemens.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Siemens EDA Selection in CADpass client
Obtaining the Software
To download the archive, go to https://www.cmc.ca/tools/ and select the download package.
Installing the Software
- Unzip the archive and expand its contents to a convenient temporary folder.
- Open this new temporary folder and select the installer application setup.exe.
The Hardware Key Users window is displayed.
- Click Next.
The Siemens PADS license window is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: The Siemens PADS Installation Window
- Click Next to set up your network license access.
- Select Network/Floating Licensing, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: The Choose Licensing Configuration Window
- Click Next.
- Enter the address in the format of port@license server: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest port number and license server name.
- Click Next.
The Licensing Configuration Complete window is displayed, showing the chosen port and server address.
- Click Next.
- In the window License Agreement, click Agree to continue, as shown in Figure 4. Otherwise, cancel the installation.
Note: To learn more about this agreement, contact email@example.com for help. This agreement is also available online at
Figure 4: The License Agreement Window of the PADS Installation Program
The next window shows which modules have been selected, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Beginning the Installation of PADS and License Configuration
- To install the entire package, click Install to continue.
The Installing Products window appears while dependencies are checked/updated and the main programs are installed (Figure 6).
Figure 6: Installation Progress is Displayed by the Program
When this step is finished, the window PADS Installation Complete appears, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: The Siemens Installation is Complete
- Click Done.
At this point you are ready to begin using the software.
- Log into CADpass client, select the Siemens license entry, and start PADS.
Sometimes firewalls or anti-virus programs block CADpass from reaching CMC Microsystems’ license server(s). If you cannot run this software, contact CMC Technical support for assistance.
References and Resources to Get You Started
The following is a selection of relevant references for Siemens PADS:
- Guides and Help included with the program (Figure 8).
Figure 8: Getting Started Help is Built Into Some of the PADS Main Windows
- More PADS information at http://www.pads.com/support