The following information will help you download, install, set up and use ThermoFisher Scientific’s Avizo and/or Amira with the CMC License Management System. These instructions are for a Windows 10, 64-bit operating system. CMC Microsystems offers limited support for Mac OS X and LINUX installations. Contact CMC Microsystems for more information.
Prerequisites for Installing Avizo and Amira with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
You must meet the following criteria before installing Avizo and Amira:
- Students must register with CMC at: https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at: https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
Software and hardware requirements are listed on the ThermoFisher Scientific website.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Avizo and Amira
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click ThermoFisher Scientific.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The ThermoFisher Scientific Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
You will find links the latest Amira and Avizo releases on the CMC Microsystems’ website: https://www.cmc.ca/tools/.
Installing the Software
- Download the Avizo executable file for your operating system.
- To start the installation, double-click this executable file. For example, Avizo-2020*-Windows64-***.exe.
Note: This particular file name is for the Windows 64-bit version. The file name will be different for other operating systems.
- From the main page Welcome to the Avizo Software Setup Wizard, click Next.
- In the License Agreement window, read the Software End-User License Agreement (EULA). If you agree, choose I accept…, and then click Next. Otherwise, end the installation session.
- In the Information window, read the relevant important information if desired, then click Next.
- In the Select Destination Location window, choose your desired directory location to install the software, then click Next.
It is recommended to keep the default path.
- In the Select Components window, choose the desired Avizo components that you want to install, then click Next.
It is recommended to choose Typical Installation from the drop-down menu. For more information about these features, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Select Start Menu Folder window, choose where you want the shortcut for the software to appear in your Windows Start Menu folder, then click Next.
It is recommended to keep the default folder.
- In the Select Additional Tasks window, choose whether or not to add a desktop icon, then click Next.
The Avizo software will begin to install. Once installation completes, the Completing the Avizo Setup Wizard window is displayed.
- Click Finish.
The steps for installing the Amira software are very similar. Repeat the preceding steps for Amira.
Setting Up Avizo and Amira License Access
The following steps describe how to connect your Avizo software to the CMC License Management Server (LMS).
To set up your license:
- Make sure to start CADpass R20 as described in the section Setting Up CADpass R20 for Use With Avizo and Amira.
- Run your Avizo installation. In the End User License Agreement window, select I accept the license and click OK.
An error window No valid license found for Avizo is displayed. This is expected.
- In this window, click Activate Avizo or Reconfigure Avizo Licensing, as shown in Figure 2. Do NOT select Evaluate Avizo.
Figure 2: The No Valid License Found Window for Avizo
- In the Avizo License Manager window:
- Select the option Use FNP license server.
- Enter the FNP license server in the format of server name:port number, for example: a2.cmc.ca:6618
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest server name and port number.
- Click Activate.
The License Manager will now allow you to run the full version of Avizo.
The steps for setting up the Amira software are very similar. Repeat the preceding steps for Amira. Figure 3 shows the license manager window for Amira.
Figure 3: The Amira License Manager Window
More information about Avizo, Amira and their license features is available on the ThermoFisher Scientific website:
ThermoFisher Scientific provides resources for learning to use their software. Read about applications, visit the company’s Learning Center, and browse software training via these links: