CADpass client secure connection (will be referred to as CADpass client or CADpass in this document) is a utility provided by CMC Microsystems that creates a secure connection between client PC’s, workstations, and computer sessions, and the CMC managed infrastructure.
This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Synopsys Code V and Light Tools software on a Windows 10 or 11 system using CMC Microsystem’s CADpass Client Secure Connection to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS).
You must meet the following criteria before installing Synopsys Optical Solutions (Code V and LightTools) software:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx.
- Have your faculty supervisor subscribe through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/.
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software.
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
- A PDF reader is required to open some of the tutorials and manuals included with the Synopsys Code V and Light Tools software.
- A file extraction program such as 7-Zip or WinZip to extract the downloaded program installation files from .zip format.
- 64-bit Windows: Windows 10 or Windows 11.
- RAM Required: 8 GB minimum, 16G recommended (or more for extremely large models or large simulations).
- 64-bit Linux: We officially support Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5 and 6.
Setting up CADpass Client for Use with Synopsys Optical Solutions (Code V and LightTools) Software
CADpass client is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass client.
- Start CADpass client and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, check Synopsys CODE V/LightTools Software.
An orange checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The Synopsys Selection in CADpass Client
Obtaining the Software
- Sign in to your CMC account.
- Go to the Synopsys tools download page.
- Click the Synopsys Optical Solutions download link.
- Follow the instructions to download the installation files..
Installing the Software
The Synopsys Code V and Light Tools installation files are in a compressed format (*.zip), which is not executable. The actual installer must be extracted from this file using a file compression program. You may use Windows, or a program such as 7-Zip, to extract the compressed files. You can install Code V and Light Tools separately.
Installing Code V
- Locate the Code V installation file.
- Double-click the installer version corresponding to your computer’s operating system. The installer program has a file format of CODEVyyyymmFCS.exe.
The installer wizard appears.
- Follow the default prompts. The default program files installation location is C:\\ CODEVyyyy.mm.
- When the dialogue box entitled License Type Setup appears, select Network/Client.
- When dialogue License Installation Options appears, check Floating (Network) License, and enter a4.cmc.ca as the Server Hostname, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Code V License File Server Setup
Installing Light Tools
- Locate the Light Tools installation in the format of LightTools64_yyyymmFCS.zip.
- Extract the files from this folder.
- Double-click the installer version corresponding to your computer’s operating system. The installer has a file format of setup.exe.
The installer wizard appears.
- Follow the default prompts.
The default program files installation location is shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: LightTools Default Locations
- When the dialogue box License Type Setup appears, select Network/Client.
- When dialogue License Installation Options appears, check Floating License, and enter a4.cmc.ca as the Server Hostname, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: LightTools License File Server Setup
Running a Synopsys Optical Solutions Session
Sign in to the CADpass client, and check Synopsys CODE V / LightTools Software, as shown in Figure 1.
Running a Code V Session
From the Start menu of Windows, open the folder CODE V yyyy.mm CAD Suite, and launch the program CODE V yyyy.mm.
The default GUI window appears, as shown in Figure 5.
Note: You may access CODE V user manuals from the Start menu or from the same directory where you installed the software.
Figure 5: Default GIU Code V window
Running a Light Tools Session
From the Start menu of Windows, open the folder Light Tools (64) yyyy.mm, and then launch Light Tools (64) _yyyy_mm, as shown in Figure 6.
Note: You may access Light Tools (64)_yyyy_mm user manuals from the Start menu or from the same directory where you installed the software.
Figure 6: Default GUI LightTools window
Synopsys website provides extensive application notes, webinars, and training materials:
Synopsys photonic solutions limit access to their resource in Supportàsolvenet for CMC users. If you need some resources or submit a case to Synopsys products, Contact us at https://www.cmc.ca/support/.