This quick start guide provides instructions for installing COMSOL Multiphysics on a Windows opearting system using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass (R20) to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS).
You must meet the following criteria before installing COMSOL Multiphysics:
- Students must register with CMC at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Faculty supervisors can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, root, super, sysadmin, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
- At least 4 GB of RAM is recommended
- 2 to 10 GB of disk space
- OS requirement isWindows 10 or 8.1
For detailed requirements, refer to the following link: https://www.comsol.com/system-requirements.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with COMSOL Multiphysics
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click COMSOL.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1: The COMSOL Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
Download the COMSOL software to a temporary location. This installation file COMSOL55_dvd.iso is an ISO image.
Installing the Software
To install the tool:
- Extract the COMSOL ISO file into a temporary directory:
You can use any extraction tool, such as winzip or winrar, or just click the iso file (Windows 10) and it will be auto extracted.
If you do not have an extraction tool, you can download the freeware 7zip utility located at http://www.7-zip.org/
- Navigate to the location of the unzipped COMSOL ISO package, click setup, and then choose New COMSOL 5.5 Installation.
- At the license stage of the installation, use the following data, as shown in Figure 2:
- Port number: 6601
- Hostname: comsol.a.cmc.ca
Figure 2: Setup of License in COMSOL for Use with CADpass
- To validate your installation, click the Check button shown in Figure 2.
The License Information window displays the valid licenses that you have, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: License Information Window
- Click Close.
- You can browse the third-party tools folder, which is installed on your local machine, for LiveLink products (Figure 4).
These products will be linked with the COMSOL tool.
Figure 4: LiveLink Product Options
- Continue with the installation and accept the remaining default options, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Finishing the COMSOL Installation
- After the installation is finished, click the COMSOL icon on the desktop.
- After it is running, in the COMSOL GUI, navigate to File | Application Libraries | Module (for example, the AC/DC Module).
- Choose an example to open, and run the simulation to make sure everything is working correctly.
See Figure 6 for an example.
Figure 6: Open a Design Example From Application Libraries
CMC will, from time to time, post updates to the COMSOL software installer. If you want to install the update, check the CMC website and download the installer, then follow the default options to install the update.
Mac Version of the COMSOL Installation
On the CMC product website, there is a Mac version of the COMSOL package that you can download. Check the System Requirements section of this document before you install it. The installation steps are similar to the Windows steps described here. If you have any issues, you can contact CMC.
Linux Version of the COMSOL Installation
The same COMSOL package that you downloaded from the CMC website can also be installed on a Linux machine. Check the System Requirements section of this document before you install it. The installation steps are similar to the Windows steps described here. If you have any issues, you can contact CMC.