This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Synopsys QuantumATK Academic software on Microsoft Windows using CMC Microsystems’ CADpass R20 to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS). The procedure has been proven on a Windows 10, 64-bit system. Synopsys offers QuantumATK software for both LINUX and Windows operating systems.
The QuantumATK Academic package includes:
- Nanolab (feature list is here)
- Links to online manuals
- Links to online tutorials
Prerequisites for Installing QuantumATK with CMC License Manager System (LMS)
You must meet the following criteria before installing QuantumATK:
- Register with CMC Microsystems at https://account.cmc.ca/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx
- Have your faculty supervisor open an account through the CMC subscription page at https://www.cmc.ca/subscriptions/
- You must have administrator rights for the computer on which you are installing this software
- You must have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
The software requirements can be found here: software requirements.
The hardware requirements recommended by Synopsys support staff can be found here: hardware requirements.
Setting up CADpass R20 for Use with Synopsys QuantumATK
CADpass R20 is a CMC Microsystems’ license access client and is used by subscribers across Canada to connect to our secure license server(s).
- Follow the instructions in the quick start guide to download and install CADpass R20.
- Start CADpass R20 and then log in using your CMC Microsystems Username and Password.
- When the CAD access window appears, double-click Synopsys.
A red checkmark appears next to the entry, as shown in Figure 1. Leave this checked while you are using the software.
Figure 1. The Synopsys Selection in CADpass R20
Obtaining the Software
The QuantumATK installer file is available from the CMC Microsystems’ website: https://www.cmc.ca/tools/
Installing the Software
- Download the installer file from the CMC Microsystems’ website to a convenient temporary location on your computer.
- Click the downloaded file and launch the installer.
The QuantumATK Setup window is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: QuantumATK Setup Window
- Click Next.
The License Agreement dialog is displayed, as shown in Figure 3.
- Read the terms of the Synopsys End-User License and Maintenance Agreement carefully, and click I accept the agreement when you have reviewed the terms and you want to proceed. If you are unsure of your obligations under this agreement, contact email@example.com to discuss them.
Figure 3: Synopsys License Agreement
- At this point, it is recommended that you turn off your anti-virus software until the installation is complete.
- Click Next.
The Choose Install Path dialogue is displayed, as shown in Figure 4. You can make changes to the Installation Directory path at this time.
Figure 4: Change the Installation Directory
- Click Next.
The Ready to Install dialogue box is displayed, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Ready to Install Dialog Box
- Click Next.
The installation progress is displayed. Once the software has been installed, the Completing the QuantumATK R-2020.09 Setup Wizard dialog box is displayed, as shown in Figure 6. The process should take about four or five minutes to complete.
Figure 6: Completing the QuantumATK R-2020.09 Setup Wizard Dialog Box
- To end the installation, click Finish.
Setting up the QuantumATK License Access
- On your workstation, go to the Start menu | QuantumATK | QuantumATK.
The software tools are listed, as shown in Figure 7.
- Start the tools as needed.
Figure 7:The QuantumATK Software Menu on a Workstation
The software is searching for a license server and displays the error message shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: No valid license found Message
- Select Configure license settings and click Next.
- In the License Configuration window, select the I want to connect to a license server option and click Next, as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: Select I want to connect to a license server
- Enter the license settings shown in Figure 10: port number is 6053, and license server hostname is a2.cmc.ca.
Figure 10: License Settings to Use for Running QuantumATK
Note: Always check CADpass Licensing Information for the latest Hostname (server name) and Port number.
- Click Next to complete the process.
Troubleshooting Installation Problems
If the tool fails to install properly, contact CMC Support for help with diagnosing the problem at https://www.cmc.ca/support/. If after configuring settings the software still cannot not find a license, it may be caused by an anti-virus program interfering with access to the license server, or by a firewall program blocking ports.
Additional Support Resources
- Tutorials that are bundled with this installation are listed under Start menu | QuantumATK |, as shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11: Available Online QuantumATK Tutorials
- The online manual is also available in this bundle as shown in Figure 12.
Figure 12: The Synopsys QuantumATK Online Reference Manual